Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Because the music that they constantly play, it says nothing to me about my life

So this weekend Kyle said, "You don't know anything about good music." *insert screeching halt noise here* Let's just say I was less than thrilled with that comment. Just because MY personal collection doesn't consist of songs that include the words "hos" or "guns"...but who's counting.

When I was a DJ, I had access to all kinds of underground music. When I worked at the record store, I had access to top 40 stuff, oldies, jazz, even country. It provided a wide base of musical knowledge from the 80's/90's. So much so - that if a song comes on the radio, I can usually name it within the first few notes of the song. "..."Valerie Loves Me", Material Issue - Yay me!" Yeah, that's me in the car, just ignore me and keep driving.

So then Dan sends me this article from the paper in MN, regarding a new indie radio station. The author's a bit heavy on the "wordy" for my taste, just try and ignore it...

"Implicit in the hype was the longstanding alt-rock conviction that suburban mechanics and IT workers who want to hear Lynyrd Skynyrd's "That Smell" for the 1,000th time are Philistines, whereas urban advertising execs who want to hear the Smiths' "Hand in Glove" for the 645th time are pacesetters."


Despite what you think, I'm not *stuck* in the 80's. I've long thrown out my leg warmers and oversized belts, thank you. Believe it or not, I do in fact listen to alot of stuff coming out today, it's not my fault that most of it is crap. Point is, if people want to listen to Fiddy Cent or J-LO all day, go on with your bad self, someone has to do it. Just don't bash the music I listen to. Because believe it or not, I know all about your music, but I bet you know nothing about mine.

It seems like yesterday that I was standing in a 10 hour line waiting to gaze into the eyes of Dave Gahan. Suddenly, now here I am, on the couch, next to the kid watching Barney singing "I love you, you love me.." I mean, the kid is transfixed. He's swaying back and forth, I half expect him to start foaming at the mouth. I've got to go, I think Barney's going to sing "Personal Jesus," I've got to find my lighter...
.

4 Comments:

Blogger foodiechickie said...

Damn straight!

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 1:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have GOT to DJ at a party dang it!!!!!

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 1:50:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

I wasn't THAT kind of DJ, darling, I'm not that talented.

I was a hack college radio dj, and I loved every minute of it.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 3:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, I lost track because of lack of funds (diapers or music). But it was ok cause it was the early days of REALLY lame hair metal.
-kat

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 6:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home