Thursday, May 12, 2005

All you do to me is talk talk

Today I went shopping, at a regular sized - i.e. non-maternity store, and told the sales girl I was looking for something cute and stretchy (seeing as how I was preggers). I haven't gone clothes shopping in awhile, probably after today, I had good reason.

retailgirl: "Here, try this shirt."

(Hands me a medium)
me: "Uh, there's no way I'd wear a medium, how about an X-large?"

(looking me up and down)
retailgirl: "No way. You're small. You're a medium."
me: "Seriously, I've been through this before. I look small, but...X-large."
retailgirl: "I'm telling you medium."
me: "LOOK. There's no way my boobs are fitting into a medium, trust me."
retailgirl: "Well, I only have a large."


As if that wasn't bad enough, it goes on, as she hands me a bright turquoise shirt. If you know me at all, I would never own a shirt in that color.

me: "Um, what other colors do you have?"
retailgirl: "I think this one is good for you."

(I reach for the black one, cause I'm goth like that. *kidding*)
me: "Uh, I'll take this black one, or brown, even..."
retailgirl: "You know..."


The start of this sentence, plus her stare, told me that what was to follow would not be pleasant...

retailgirl: "...you know, just cause you're pregnant doesn't mean you can't wear pretty colors."


Biting my tongue, (very non-me, but hey, I'm pregnant and beaten down at this point) I took the LARGE turquoise shirt and tried it on. And guess what. I was right. The color was awful and the boobs didn't fit. Yet, somehow the gratification of being right didn't make me feel any better. That's enough shopping for me.
.

7 Comments:

Anonymous c.beans said...

OH DANG! How did you not kill that woman. "Let the woman buy what she wants!"

haha - then again, wasn't I guilty of constantly buying you the wrong size shirts? I can see how she was just trying to be nice (or was she)?

I'm getting this feeling that maybe, just maybe...was she Filipino? hahahahahahahahaha

just kidding, luv to my peeps. but seriously...she was Filipino right?

sorry you had to go through that - if I helps any, I get the same treatment not about my boobs...but about my butt. Hows that for humiliating. "your a 3!" no really...my bootie ain't fitting into that. I'm just short...it's a viscous cycle.

k - I'm finished...hope you feel better.

Thursday, May 12, 2005 6:45:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

You're supposed to be helpful as a retailer, not an ass hat. Crazy girl.

And C.beans, you're Filipino? I'm half. :) You're right - they can be pushy.

Thursday, May 12, 2005 8:52:00 PM  
Blogger foodiechickie said...

Oh my GOD what bad sales help.I was in retail sales and you know what THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT! Sorry it was a sucky experience.

Friday, May 13, 2005 7:02:00 AM  
Blogger Victoria Winters said...

I'm torn between wanting sales-people to assist me, but also to leave me alone. I suppose in your case, I'd want them to back the hell off and let me shop! So, did you end up with the black shirt, or what? :)

Friday, May 13, 2005 8:12:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

I ended up with nothing. Sick of it.

Friday, May 13, 2005 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger cessna said...

I would have just walked out. I never ask salespeople for their help...usually they are clueless, ergo, they are in the wrong line of work. I know. I used to work in retail. :-)

Friday, May 13, 2005 11:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were you on the drive? I know I'm a hick but that sounds like something I've read many times about Bev Hills. But I've also experienced that sort of thing around here but usually it's them telling me how great I look in that Heidi outfit....bleh...
-kat
p.s. I don't really go around trying on heidi outfits.

Sunday, May 15, 2005 7:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home