Wednesday, June 04, 2008

"How did it happen that four such smart women have nothing to talk about but boyfriends? It's like seventh grade with bank accounts."

Yes, I was one of the millions of women who saw Sex in the City this weekend. I watched the series, and anytime you invest time in a show, it's nice to see it wrapped up. And it was. It was really well done. The problem is, I obviously wasn't that invested, as I did not dress up in heels and get my hair did, nor could I even remember the main characters...names. DHAHAH Sad.

I realized that my main reason for watching the show was...the city. I have a undying love for New York. I have great memories of that place. Staying in a mouse infested apartment in Brooklyn, going to Tavern on the Green for O.G.'s 80th birthday, taking a weekend bachelorette party there, all things that come rushing back every time I visit.I have been there many times, for work and pleasure, and what I love is that you can walk everywhere - something I'd NEVER do at home, even at $4 a gallon for gas.

My favorite place to go is Soho. It's much more packed than it used to be, but still a great place to spend the day. Whenever I go a stationery designer friend of mine always says, "You went to Kate's, right?" More of a demand, than a question. Yes, Kate's Paperie for stationery, and the Dean and Deluca flagship store for the foodie in me. Yep.Speaking of food. Everyone lines up for Magnolia cupcakes, which are great, but I would rather hike it on up to the east side and get one from the Buttercup Bakeshop. Wow are they good. Then there's late night hot dogs at Gray's Papaya, bagels at H&H, my favorite little hard to get to market - Zabars (which just got a big write up), hot nuts off a steamy cart at night, and as my friend Mike will tell you, the Shake Shack IS worth the wait. Just SOME of the food places to eat, it's hard to hit up everything in one trip. But I refuse to leave that town unless I've eaten a black and white cookie. I don't even care where it's from, I just can't leave without one.Quite obviously my version of the show would be Food and the City - but there are tons of other places to go too - mostly to walk off all that eating. I always like to spend time at my favorite museums, the Met, the Guggenheim, and my absolute favorite, MOMA. The city is FILLED with architecture, shops, parks - little day trips can be planned for every section of the city. And watching the movie made me miss it so.

There is a big difference between L.A. and New York, and while I call one town my home, the other is always in my heart. In any case, the movie was a good wrap up to the show, and no, I don't think it was 'estrogen filled' or 'about a bunch of whores' like the internet-ers are all incensed about. I thought it was a great ending - a perfect wrap up of characters, for people who enjoyed the show. Then again, I love heels.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Jen,
I think your blog is a great little break in my day. You are such fun and I can relate on so many levels. I just wanted to recommend, on your next trip to NY, The Treats Truck...http://www.treatstruck.com/ Kim is such a sensational baker and the truck, named Sugar, is just too darn cute. Check her out if you can find the truck. She makes killer Carmel Creme Cookies.
-lisa

Thursday, June 05, 2008 1:41:00 AM  
Blogger Lady Librarian said...

I saw the film yesterday in London, and whilst I didn't dress up there were certainly ladies that did - I had a day of training beforehand and thought my killer heels would have been lost on 'License negotiating for librarians'! I too thought it was a great ending to a great show, so a great big "I curse the day you were born" to all those tearing it to shreds. If you didn't like the series, don't go and see the film. It's not rocket science!

Thursday, June 05, 2008 3:06:00 AM  
Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

Now I grew up outside teh city so I wonder, are blank & white cookies only a NY/NJ thing?

Now you have me craving a grays hotdog!

Thursday, June 05, 2008 5:06:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Lisa - I have always wanted to go to find the Treats Truck. I never get around to it - there are just too many other things to eat!!

LL - Ha.

TG - I believe they are a New York thing, now they are everywhere but they started there.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 6:33:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I want to go to NY with you! You know how to do it right, it sounds.

H&H Bagels. LOVE.

When I went, there was a giant clan of pink boa wearers. It wasn't pretty.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home