Sunday, June 08, 2008

It's not easy being green.

Cleaning out the pantry gives me a lot of inspiration. I found some matcha I wanted to use up - powdered green tea - that I use when I make green tea ice cream. It reminded me of when I went to Nobu restaurant in Hawaii, the meal was fabulous, and I was stuffed. I will ALWAYS look at a dessert menu, but at most Japanese restaurants, the desserts aren't impressive. You may get a selection of mochi ice cream that they charge you $8 for, but why pay that much when I have the inventor of mochi ice cream in my own backyard?

At Nobu, it was different. The desserts were...stunning. Not only in how they looked but the taste was extraordinary. Their most popular dessert is the 'bento box'. Served in a laquered box, a flourless chocolate cake and a scoop of green tea ice cream. It sounded great but the combinations of tastes, I wasn't sure. It turned out to be the most amazing pairing ever - the two things went so well.

Remembering this, I attempted to repeat this flavor combination. It was the cake+creamy ice cream that made it work. So I thought, that's it! I'll make ice cream cupcakes! I was supposed to participate in this challenge anyway - but the Computer Meltdown of 2008 ruined that plan.

I used a vegan cocoa cake recipe - 1. so that the Kid could eat it and 2. I figured a cake without butter wouldn't freeze as 'hard'. I popped the cupcakes in the freezer to firm up, then scooped the green tea ice cream on top, then finished it off by icing chocolate frosting OVER the ice cream. The result made a beautiful cross section when you cut into it. And the flavor? Just what I was looking for.

While ice cream cupcakes are fun and delicious, they are also a royal pain in the ass and start melting IMMEDIATELY. I don't think I'll be making them anytime soon unless it's for a VERY special occasion. Which reminds me. The Baby's birthday is coming up...in November. Maybe I better start planning now. Yikes. Remember last year?? Maybe I can keep with the green theme, after all the Baby did tell me that HE is the 'CREDIBLE HULK." You can believe him folks, he's credible.

Chocolate & Green Tea Ice cream cupcakes recipe

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

those look really yummy.
the 'credible hulk'. HA. My 'baby' is "tuper man" these days- funny, cause he only has a cup with the guy's picture on it- never seen a movie or cartoon or anything- how does he know that boys like that kind of stuff??

Sunday, June 08, 2008 7:18:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I hate matcha and that still looks good.

Monday, June 09, 2008 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Wow...you amaze me. I bet those were yummy. I just saw something about ice cream cupcakes on Boing Boing and the Craft: blog (same article). It should have been you!

Monday, June 09, 2008 9:37:00 AM  
Blogger suburban housefrau said...

Martha has ice cream cupcakes in her newest issue. and also brownie and peanut butter ice cream sandwiches -yum!

Monday, June 09, 2008 5:14:00 PM  
Blogger Ku said...

I am such a green tea fiend. I get mine imported from Japan whenever I am not there to buy it locally. Mmm. Matcha. :D

Monday, June 16, 2008 1:18:00 PM  
Blogger Dr.Gray said...

I like that the credible hulk. Anyways yes these look really cool (no pun intended because of the green tea ice cream) however they seem really not functional and probably really messy to eat. I always wondered how they made those ice cream cakes. I think they use a brownie base and a firmer ice cream (maybe more water content?).

Sunday, June 22, 2008 7:26:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

No, that's the same way they make ice cream cakes, they just don't melt as fast because there is more mass to them and less handling time.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 8:18:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Beautiful cupcakes! It's a great feeling when things work out so well!

Saturday, July 05, 2008 8:25:00 PM  
Blogger Cakespy said...

Ohhhh baby! Can I come live with you?!? These look gorgeous!

Saturday, July 05, 2008 8:32:00 PM  
Blogger My Sweet & Saucy said...

I LOVE this! A cupcake plus ice cream!!!

Saturday, July 05, 2008 10:22:00 PM  
Blogger cakebrain said...

What a nifty idea to incorporate icecream and a cupcake! fabulous!

Sunday, July 06, 2008 8:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Dwayne said...

Goodness, there is really much worthwhile information above!
antibiotics list | custom hoodie | netbooks review

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home