Friday, June 27, 2008

Wanna have you near me, I wanna have you hear me sayin', no one needs you more than I need you

I love shopping at Farmer's markets, the best of the season is always on display.
I know we are spoiled out here, when I go to the east coast it always amazes me how the fruit is so...terrible. If only they could walk our market aisles and see the colors and textures are of truly fresh produce. It always inspires me. I just pick up and item and then come up with a plan.

I've been working downtown a lot lately. Too much if you ask my gas tank. Recently I went to the Thursday Farmer's Market at City Hall. They had some really good food there but I already had lunch plans (blog post on that to follow) so I just went through and bought whatever caught my eye. Cinnamon roasted almonds of course. An olive roll. And then I saw berries. Really ripe strawberries, blueberries and...yellow raspberries. WHAT. I have to say I don't see those that often. Very rare stuff here, folks. They were softer than a regular raspberry, sweeter. I knew had to have them so I bought a three tray and hoofed it to my very expensive $16 parking. I was only there 20 minutes, a-holes. Stupid downtown parking.

The whole time I was at my meeting and driving home all I could think about was what to do with the berries. Hm. Trifle? Done. Parfait? More done. So of course, cupcakes. But not in the regular, chopping up the berries sort of way. These were so pretty, I couldn't part with them.

So I made some lemon cupcakes, pushed the biggest of the yellow raspberries in the center and baked them. Like a little filled treat, but without oozy filling. Then I thought a white chocolate frosting would punch up the citrus. And OF COURSE, the little yellow raspberry sitting on top would make it all the prettier.

And that's how inspiration works. Sweet, sweet, tasty inspiration.

Lemon Yellow Raspberry Cupcakes with White Chocolate frosting, recipe.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger dapotato said...

oh the yellow is so summery, too!

Friday, June 27, 2008 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

When I read that on Twitter, I was wondering what yellow was qualifying exactly. It was the raspberries!! Who knew? They kind of look like golden raisins.

Anyway, this sounds amazing.

Friday, June 27, 2008 9:04:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

I love farmer's markets and raspberries. Those look scrumptious!

Friday, June 27, 2008 9:52:00 AM  
Blogger tesilein said...

It all looks so good. If you ever open up your own restaurant, I will be there!

Friday, June 27, 2008 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger Cakespy said...

Oh those look gorgeous--I love seasonal fruit made into sweets like this!

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:48:00 PM  
Blogger jami said...

The problem is, it doesn't matter how pretty the cupcakes are... I'm over here singing "You're The Inspiration!" Bah!

Friday, June 27, 2008 4:07:00 PM  
Blogger thatShortChick said...

i've been a frequent lurker (er, i mean reader) to your blog for a while now, and i just had to let you know how much i freaking.love.your.blog from your amazing designs to your completely unbelievably too-cute-to-eat baked goodness.

i'm in awe.

Friday, June 27, 2008 4:12:00 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I love shopping at farmers markets, too! I always stop before work when I am working, but now that school is out I like to go and spend the morning there-looking at yummy food and buying whatever looks yummy. That cupcake looks quite yummy!

Sunday, June 29, 2008 4:14:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

There is good produce to be found on the East Coast. Just for a more limited time of year.

Monday, June 30, 2008 9:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love east coast produce. lobster, mussles, clams (clams I think)....

-kat

Monday, June 30, 2008 3:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home