Monday, July 14, 2008

Can't stop now don't you know I ain't never gonna let you go, don't go

When I was a kid I had a little bear doll that was bald. I nicknamed him Vince. After Vince Clarke. Vince Clarke just happens to be the founding member of not only Yaz, but Depeche Mode, and Erasure. So maybe it's not synth pop that I love so much as it's just Vince that I love.

Friday night, after 20 years, Yaz reunited at the Orpheum in downtown Los Angeles. The Orpheum is a great old theater, with wonderful architectural elements. I used to do historic preservation of buildings, and the detailing on that place is fantastic. I wish I had brought my camera, normally at shows they don't allow it, but here people were snapping away.

Los Angeles is devout in it's adoration of 80s synth pop. For instance, when Depeche Mode comes to town it's like the second coming of Jesus. Fans know every lyric. Recreate every dance move. So there was no doubt that this show would be sold out and filled with the same fans. It's also one of the only things that could get me out of the house on a Friday night.

Going out at night takes a lot of coordination with babysitters and the like, and Friday night I was just plain tired. It was a horrible week at work and the last thing I wanted to do was go out. But I'm glad I did. The show was great. Honestly, Alison Moyet's voice is as strong as it was 28 years ago. (DOH. That's a long time.) Parts of it were very 'performance art' but that's what I liked about it.

And just who opens up for Yaz's first reunion in 20+ years? Why a dj whose set includes Roxy Music, Pet Shop Boys and...Limahl's Neverending Story. As if my love of Yaz wasn't strong already, the fact that their biggest hit, 'Only You,' was used in series finale of my fave show, the BBC's the Office - pretty much solidified it. Tim & Dawn = the original Jim + Pam. Aw. True love.

(go to the 7:50 mark)

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Thanks for that clip. I hadn't seen it since the first time I watched the entire original series on DVD a couple years ago. What a truly magical moment, huh? As much as I love Jim and Pam, Tim and Dawn are the real deal.

Well, in terms of fictional TV couples, that is.

Also, I love that song!

Monday, July 14, 2008 6:28:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Stupid, stupid, stupid computer that won't play videos very well. Gah.

I'm glad you enjoyed the concert and yes, isn't the Orpheum beautiful? I've seen three shows there now and it's quickly become one of my favorite venues. Gorgeous to look at and great acoustics too.

Monday, July 14, 2008 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger suburban housefrau said...

I love Depeche AND the original Office-the original is SO much more depressing and the characters are so much weirder and uncomfortable, like Gareth. And who doesn't love some bad British boy band music, there, eh??

wtf is up with the neverending story? I didn't know there were that many children of the 80s who loved that song/movie as much as I do. I made my hubby buy the dvd (along with Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal) for my bday one year.

Also, Dave IS my personal Jesus.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Alexis said...

Oh, I'm so excited--I'm going to see Yaz Saturday night in New York.

I can't wait!

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Quintin said...

Quite helpful piece of writing, much thanks for this article.
furniture stores | plus lingerie | sex with wife

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home