Monday, July 07, 2008

Fo' sheezy

Thanks to these lovely sites I spent most of my nights this weekend packing orders. It also meant I watched way too much 'Kimora Lee Simmons Life in the Fab Lane.' With my nights filled I thought I could rest during the day but then my brother called and said, 'Let's have a fifth of July party...at your house." Ok...ay. While I had just cooked my ass off the day before I now had to do it again the next day. This is how holidays work with me.

Since I had to throw stuff together last minute, I took a swing by the Fresh and Easy. Or as my brother calls it, F'in Eazy. Unfortunately he's even got the kids saying it. Hello, bad uncle. (Disclaimer - my brother works for them and has been saying how great it was, so much so, that my cousin is sick of it, and now she never wants to visit again. Ha.) So I went for the first time ever and I gotta say, I was impressed. The food tasting giveaways definitely worked on the kids - as I found my cart filled with cheese, crackers, apple streudel, and juice. There was a nice selection of items overall. I saw whipped honey which I haven't seen in years! I wonder what made them think, 'Hey yeah, let's bring whipped honey back.' Whatever, I was sold. But just what to do with it?

I decided to make some cornbread but in muffin form. WONDER TWIN POWERS, ACTIVATE. FORM OF MUFFIN. That's what I'd choose anyway. I have experimented with this recipe for a long time, wanting the perfect consistency - and not too dry. Some cornbread has a tendency to taste like cardboard. I also wanted it to be just sweet enough to stand on it own, but the whipped honey definitely made it fantastic.

So we had a giant feast on the fifth o' July. Tons of grilled meat, side dishes - mint chocolate chip ice cream (so good) and I also got a big basket of strawberries for 95 cents. Not bad. That place really was F'in Eazy.

Cornbread muffins recipe

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Good to hear you liked that place. They're opening one up by my parents and they are so intrigued.

Side note: my husband is obsessed with honey so we almost always have whipped honey at home. We just get it at Ralphs.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 8:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Alexis said...

I wish everything came in muffin form. Life would be better.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 10:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home