Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Harris: Some of these buildings are over TWENTY years old.

I love downtown, however I find myself there way more than I'd like. What I mean is, if I'm there, I'm down there on business. I'd rather be there on my own time, just for kicks. There are so many great parts of downtown Los Angeles, it's sad that they are often overlooked. I try to bring my camera every time I go into the city, it's not like things have changed, but that's what I like about it.

The best time to be down there is before 8am. The sunlight is gorgeous, the downtown workers are just getting in, it's like the city is just waking up. I always like to stop by Grand Central Market, it's not all that spectacular, but again, it's the memories of going there when I was a kid.

While it's been cleaned up that's for sure, it still has that old skool feel. You can grab a beer under those historic neon lights, or fresh produce that you didn't even know or want to know, existed. There are some amazing treats to be found at every stall. Like my fave, a nice piece of pan dulce to start off your morning. Mmm.

To the west of Grand Central you can look up and see the downtown skyline, one of the most notable buildings the Gas Company Tower, designed to, well, look like a gas flame. It also has an amazing lobby and a not half bad cafeteria if you are desperate.
I am just sad that my train loving children can't ride on Angels Flight. Known as the 'shortest railway in the world' - sure, someone died on it. Sure, it only goes up and down the hill. Sure, it's boring. But it's also a historic part of L.A., and frankly, I miss riding it. Also, what grammer nerd isn't confounded by the fact that there is no apostrophe in the name. WHAT.

I love downtown. I've done so many architectural studies of the streets for school and personal use, it feels like a second home. While change is definitely underway, it's the old parts that stir my memories. I wish I had the time to walk the streets like I remember. Sadly, I've got business to take care of. But even in the bathrooms...I have my camera.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger dapotato said...

they said angels flight is reopening (again) "soon." whatever soon means. maybe your kids will get to ride on it after all.

i love that plan holder and its sign. although it's probably still super germy.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 11:24:00 AM  
Blogger dapotato said...

oh, and my source:
http://www.ladowntownnews.com/articles/2008/01/14/news/news02.txt

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Yeah, they've been sayin' that for years.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger suburban housefrau said...

is it even shorter than the ride up to Montmartre in Paris on the Funiculaire?

I took my sisters there and they were all "I ain't paying that for a 2-minute ride" Yeah well try walking up that mother.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I don't like Downtown, but that's because I get lost EVERY TIME I'M THERE. Maybe I'll like it more after I get a car with navi.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Har... you said "walk the streets."

I saw your set on Flickr and I thought you were in NYC. I didn't know that part of L.A. existed. I need to go up there to explore again.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 2:47:00 PM  
Blogger Our Man Horn said...

It's almost the same thing as Angels Flight, but you can ride the funicular at the San Diego Convention Center in a couple weels. In costume, no less!

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 7:43:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I love Downtown too. The place I work is also missing an apostrophe, which they chalk up to some historic error.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 1:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home