Monday, July 21, 2008

Jim: I'll talk to Angela and we're gonna see what we can do about a pie.
Creed: Tell her it's for Creed. She'll know what that means.

I am packing for San Diego and so when I saw this, I cracked up. I also 'draw' my packing lists. I sketch out all the clothes/outfits I need to take. Maybe this is something all artists do, but it was funny to see that I was not alone. Also on the packing list, I made a bunch of Vegan Oatmeal Pumpkin cookies. I always make these before a trip because they keep so well and fit in my purse quite easily.

Since I am going out of town, you know what that means. The MIL is back. Within 10 mins of picking her up at the airport she already insulted my haircut. Oddly enough, someone in my office loved my haircut so much she went and got the EXACT SAME CUT. Ha! She told me she was going to, but I didn't believe it til I walked into the office. Hilarious.

Although my MIL and I don't always see eye to eye, she is doing me a favor and I try to do everything I can for her. I buy her things, take her places, and most of all, cook all the things she likes to eat. She says she's the Queen of Pie and makes the "best pumpkin pie in the world". Then yesterday she told me her recipe was from the back of the can. VHAT. How that makes her the best pumpkin pie maker in the world, I don't get it. So yesterday I meekly made pie, using my own special pumpkin pie recipe that I've developed over the years, and shoved it her way for dessert last night.
Instead of one giant pie, I made tiny individual ones, using 5" tart pans. I used pre-made TJ's crust - usually I stay away from that stuff like the plague - but this is the best pre-made pie dough I have found. I always keep it in freezer in case of emergencies, emergencies being trying to placate your MIL.

They came out really well, better than a full on pie if you ask me. And the Queen of Pie? She said it was great. Wow, so delicious! (Well it didn't come from the back of a can, for one.) I guess I can overlook the hair insult, as long as I get pie compliments, it's all good with me.I don't have time to post the recipe now, but if anyone wants it, let me know and I'll post it when I get back from the trip.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger dapotato said...

please post the recipe. i use the libby's back of can recipe and just double all the spices it calls for. oh, and i used pillsbury pie crust. the horror, i know. once upon a time, i used to make pie crust. then all of a sudden, i can't make any doughs right.

Monday, July 21, 2008 9:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Dawn said...

I'd like to see the recipe too, please! When you get a chance to catch your breath, that is.

Monday, July 21, 2008 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

YUM! Yes, recipe please!

Monday, July 21, 2008 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

i think i need to draw my packing lists! i usually have to try on clothes to see what still fits and go together.

Monday, July 21, 2008 11:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Alexis said...

OK, I admit that I use the Libby's recipe, too, and...
I like it. I'd love to try your recipe--the pie looks scrumptious.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:55:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Hey I have nothing against the Libby recipe, I think it tastes great- but when you tell people you make THE BEST PIE IN THE WORLD, well...if it's off the can, then doesn't EVERYONE make the best pie in the world???

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:17:00 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Re: the packing list.

Where are the bras? Where are the bras??!? I hope she's not going top commando or just wearing the same bra over and over again. This bothers me... It seems logistically wrong.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:51:00 AM  
Blogger CelticBuffy said...

The pie sounds great but what I really want is the recipe to those vegan oatmeal pumpkin cookies! Yum!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger a n n e said...

Ooh yes please post - pumpkin pie is my favorite pie.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how funny. I had the same pumpkin pie experience with my dad. but my recipe came from a lady at church.

still, he really did like the pumpkin pie I gave him. now I just need a good glutin free crust recipe...

-kat

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:51:00 PM  
Blogger sko_G knits said...

next time she come, ask her to bring da kine li hing mango.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:59:00 PM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

omg - those mini pumpkin pies look so awesome! My favorite part is the part with a lot of crust so this is THE BOMB!

Would it be wierd if I go the exact same hair cut too?! LOL - no way, my head would not do it justice. Apparently you're the queen of pie AND the queen of the short hair cut...nice 'do' as always. :)

Thursday, July 31, 2008 10:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home