Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Shake it, don't break it, it took your momma 9 nine months to make it

When you grow up in Southern California they do earthquake drills in school, pack earthquake supply kits, all that crap. Earthquakes never really phased me, but now that I have kids, I admit I worry about them a little bit more since the kids aren't in my sight.

This one yesterday, while they said it was moderate, 5.4 is still pretty hefty if you ask me. If you were outside you didn't feel it as much, but in a high rise there is definitely some rollin' going on. I was getting lunch and everyone in the cafe just...looked at each other. You stand there, doubt yourself and think..should I do something? Or should I stand here? We all chose to stand there and stare at the giant glass chandelier above us, waiting for it to come crashing down and kill us all. Smart.

I was all the way on the west side, but some of my family actually lives IN Chino Hills. They said it was crazy strong over there. I remember the Whittier one in the 80s, my friends were walking to school and store windows started shattering, and the ground started to crack. The Northridge quake was in the middle of the night and my tv flew off the shelf and landed on top of me in bed. Now that one was harsh. We took tours of the damage for Arch school, and not to make light of the situation, but the damage was impressive. I had only seen things like that in movies. An entire building facade lying in the street, a parking garage split in two, amazing stuff.

Now we are more prepared structurally, and I hope my kids learn not to panic, and that earthquakes are just a part of life here in SoCal. I've said this before, but my biggest fear is being Lois Lane and getting trapped in my car during the big quake and having dirt in my mouth. Worst. Quake. Ever.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Cherylann said...

how did your kids handle it? I know I would freak out if I ever felt an earthquake...

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:23:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

A TV fell on me too during the Northridge quake. Awesome.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:16:00 AM  
Anonymous cc said...

During the Northridge quake I was in my totally illegal garage bedroom, with the covers over my head praying that the ceiling fan wouldn't fall on me. My dad didn't even remember to check on me because my cousin was visiting and completely freaked out.

I think as an adult we process quakes differently.

As a child I always freaked out when the phone lines were busy. They always went out at my mom's work, but I would still freak. I always worried that a house would fall on my dad. He was a cable guy, and just as likely to be under a house as up a pole.

Yesterday, I just yelled for the kids to get away from the side of the house. I was worried that a ladder or who knows what would fall on them. Of course, this was after the first jolt, and during the second. I felt one, counted to two, and ten felt another.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:45:00 AM  
Blogger Yvett said...

I'm glad you're OK.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:53:00 AM  
Blogger jami said...

We were at the park and seriously didn't even feel it. But I got a lot of calls and texts from friends/family far away, wondering if we were okay, so I guess it played big on the news.

My friend sent over an article about NOT doing duck and cover - instead, getting in the empty space next to something big since it will create a "triangle of safety" and you'll be in the empty space next to the item which will be squished, but you won't be completely squished. Did I explain that at all?

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Ally said...

I work in a 3-story building, and I thought it was just a big truck passing by. Then, when things on the bookshelf behind my desk started flying at my head, I decided to run to the doorway. Not a good day to wear flip-flops!

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:02:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

After living in IN for the past 20+ years, it's a weird thing to have in common with you. I don't remember the magnatudes but have experienced at least 3. the last time I didn't feel the actual earthquake but I did feel one of the aftershocks, and it was stronger than anything I'd felt previously.

my friend in OKC let me know when they had theirs recently. I don't think that's overly common either.

I was just telling Leah the difference between LA & IN seems to be you guys are smart enough to go for cover. we just sit there going "whoa, did you feel that?"

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:09:00 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

My whole team tried to cram into the conference room doorway, even though we've all heard that it's not the safest place to be after all.

And I think my boss was afraid I was going to go into early labor even though I was quite calm.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:28:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I was just going back to sleep and seriously thought Rusty had jumped up on the bed and was running around like he sometimes does.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:04:00 PM  
Blogger Kuism said...

I just love how excited some of my friends were that it was their first real earthquake.

Well, I've survived a tornado or two, a hurricane or two and one minor quake. I've had my fill with natural evil for one life time. >.>

I'm glad you and everyone in SoCal is ok. ^-^

And that you aren't under another tv. Not that it wasn't entertaining the first time around I'm sure, lol. O.o

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:25:00 PM  
Anonymous mchristina said...

Glad you and your kids A-OK. The jolt was scary, but not too bad here in the O.C.

I stumbled upon your site a few weeks back and I just love your recipes! Was looking up the tri-tip recipe on my way out to the market but, DOH!, the site is down. Boo-hoo. Guess I'll have to peruse the new target up the street instead!

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home