Sunday, August 03, 2008

Feeling unknown and you're all alone. Flesh and bone by the telephone

This weekend I was alone. I saw the kids for a few hours here and there, but otherwise, I was pretty much on my own. While I dream of all the wonderful things I'd do if I had the time to myself, I did absolutely nothing.

On my own, with all the time in the world, instead of baking cupcakes...I bought them. Man I'm weird. While Sprinkles is a total rip at $3.25 a piece, I do love them. I'd even say they were my favorite of all the cupcakes out there. I like the flavors, and the packaging design, of course.

Standing in line for them like a tourist was...odd. I've never done that - I stood in line at Magnolia in New York for THIRTY minutes, but that's cause I was on vacation. (psst - not worth it in my opinion. Go to Buttercup Bakeshop - no wait.) But still. I was happy to get my neatly packaged cupcakes.

Then I headed to another bakery. (Why am I fat? Hm.) Before our houseguest went back to Hawaii, people back home asked him to pick up rainbow bread to take back home. It's weird that King's Hawaiian Bakery isn't even in Hawaii. While I was there, I got a loaf too.

Then the kids came home. Chaos ensued. The Kid tore into his legos. The Baby was bad and got put on timeout for the third time in one day. Same ol' thing. Of course at that point, THEN I started 'doing' things. I made a big pot of chicken soup, fruit salad, and using the rainbow bread, made grilled cheese sandwiches.
I also started baking, doing laundry, filling online orders, and designing new cards. Which just proves that I only function well if I have a million things to do under total chaos circumstances. What is my deal? At least I had cupcakes to fuel my madness.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Nanette said...

Rainbow grilled cheese? Wild, man.

Sunday, August 03, 2008 8:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Liz said...

King's Hawaiian Bakery -- my relatives own that. It's funny you mention since I was just talking about my cousins on that side of the family today.

Monday, August 04, 2008 12:26:00 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Jealous of the rainbow bread!

Monday, August 04, 2008 3:20:00 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

The toast is psychedelic, man!

I kept hearing about the lines at Sprinkles, but I was in BH during the day several times and never saw a line -- later, I went at around 6PM and saw what everyone was talking about. Their cupcakes are good, but not my favorite... except! their peanut butter chip ones are amazing.

Monday, August 04, 2008 8:16:00 AM  
Blogger She Needs said...

I am curious to know where on earth did you get teh rainbow bread?

Monday, August 04, 2008 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

I bet the kids loved that bread. I've never had it but I assume it tastes like regular old white bread but with colors? Or?

Monday, August 04, 2008 10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Oh wow! I totally covet that funky bread now. What a cool find!

Monday, August 04, 2008 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Carol Browne said...

Hey! I think I just figured out who you twittered about. SNORT!

Monday, August 04, 2008 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Alone? Where in the world were your children?

I've heard Sprinkles cupcakes aren't that good, but I've never had them. If you like them, they must be alright.

I have a gift certificate for King's Hawaiian that I still need to use. I don't think I'll get that bread though. That is where you got the bread, isn't it?

I think you should stop reading this now and get back to the tasks on your list! Get to it, woman!

Monday, August 04, 2008 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger suburban housefrau said...

just...can't...pay... $3.25... for... a cupcake!

That box looks like 4 nipples.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger alexthepink said...

Loving that rainbow bread!

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 12:44:00 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Carden said...

Love the rainbow bread!! We sometimes paint toast with milk and food coloring, kids love it!! Thanks or the post.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 1:08:00 PM  
Blogger ~Madeline~ said...

I'm opening a cupcake store STAT! That bread is so cool.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 2:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home