Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Good grief.

I <3 Snoopy. Disney is number one in our house, but Snoopy has been in my heart for years. Hello 1976, nice dress.

I have been getting a lot of emails about fondant. People are understandably scared of it. It's like staring at a blank canvas. I didn't touch it for years, but it's actually a lot of fun and very forgiving. If it doesn't work out, just ball it up and start over. No tears.

Snoopy is a great place to start, simple colors, just black and white. It's more free form than my Curious George cupcakes, for these I just molded the fondant til I got what I was looking for, shape-wise. Very similar to the fondant Bullys that I did.

For the actual cupcake I made pumpkin cupcakes. An ode to my cousin's love for pumpkin pie, and just lightly topped them with the chocolate spreads that I got the other day. I was told that these cupcakes were the 'best I've ever made', but I think that person was lightheaded and biased from pumpkin overload.

I have been dying to go to Knott's Berry Farm to scope out the Snoopy goods, but mostly, I want some fried chicken. Everytime I mention it, complaints. The kids just want to ride rides. O.G. thinks two hours to wait for fried chicken is stupid. I don't blame her, but come on. FRIED. CHICKEN. Anyway, I'm sick of hearing it from them plus the Halloween haunt scares the bejezzus out of me, so I decided to just not go at all. For now, I'll just have to make do with these cupcakes.

Fondant Snoopy, how to
Pumpkin Cupcakes

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger celia said...

have you tried korean fried chicken? get your bad self over to bon chon chicken in koreatown. if you do, can you stop by raw materials and pick me up?

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 9:16:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Holy crap! I had a dress like that when I was a kid. And my bro had a sailor outfit complete with hat. My mom LOVES sailor stuff & we had portraits taken at Gemco...good times, good times.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Dude. GEMCO shoutout! Does anyone who isn't from L.A. even know that name? Now THAT's 70s...

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 10:14:00 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I'm LOVING my pumpkin cupcakes with fondant hamsters!!! Yum! Hopefully, someday, I'll be able to post a photo.

Oh, and I love the Snoopy. You saw Rusty's Snoopy collar...all three dogs have them. I went to Knott's specifically for the boys. I'd gotten Cosette's at a store in an airport in Florida!

Anyway, rock on with your cupcakes and I also hope to scan a photo of kid me with a GIANT Snoopy!

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 10:19:00 PM  
Blogger lilsprinkles said...

The trick to Knott's chicken...either get take out (NO WAIT if you there early enough...btw 4-5) or go there at 4:30ish! But better to wait it out until after the Halloween festivities, you'll be stuck in major traffic!

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger flurogoddess said...

Snoopy is the BEST - no doubt about it!

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 1:27:00 AM  
Blogger Tierney said...

I just have to say that the picture of you is adorable! I just want to squeeze those cute chubby cheeks. (In a motherly way - not crazy)

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 5:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

Snoopy rules! I used to have a Snoopy watch when I was younger.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 6:52:00 AM  
Blogger noisy penguin said...

Those are adorable!

My husband was skeptical of waiting in line to go to the Chicken Dinner Restaurant - "It's not a roller coaster...I'm waiting in line to pay more money?" But after his meal he was sold. Now he talks about driving up from San Diego for Chicken Dinner fairly often. I've created a monster.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 7:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Hilary said...

We had Gemco in San Diego. It was like Target and Ralphs all in one, but better!

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 9:40:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

I think most girls alive in the 70s had to own a dress like that. because I'm pretty sure I had one rather similar.

and I had a snoopy too. still do.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 2:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Carolyn Jung said...

You remind me of me! My aunt used to work for the company that produced all the Snoopy merchandise. So every year at Christmas when I was a little girl, I'd look forward to opening her present, which was always something Snoopy-related. I still remember how she gave me the plush Snoopy when I was in second grade. I still have him, though he's a little more gray than white these days. Still, he brings me joy whenever I see him.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 8:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Ally said...

Wow! I had that dress, too! I also had a giant snoopy doll that was as big as I was. I loved that stuffed animal.

My mom, grandma, and I just drove back from up north where we went to the Schulz museum. My grandma loves Snoopy and Charlie Brown. She was in heaven! There's even a Warm Puppy Cafe!

Gemco! Yeah! Zodys! Yeah!

Thursday, October 09, 2008 7:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home