Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I think about where we have been, and all the sights that could be seen
I know it all could be worthwhile, if only I could force a smile

The Baby's birthday is this weekend. I haven't talked about it since, well, I haven't thought much about it. I didn't even send out invitations to people that I regularly invite, I just figured, eh...who cares? I dunno. No one rsvps anyway, it's ridiculous. Since when did that become acceptable? I have big plans for the party, don't get me wrong, I am just going to see if it all comes together or not.

The only thing I have done ahead of time, is last week I re-purposed my spice rack into a vehicle for sprinkles. You'll have to wait and see what that will be for. But that's as far as I've gone with party-ish stuff. Blergh.

I guess my lukewarm attitude is from being overworked. Even then, my goal is to give my kids a homecooked meal every day. There is some study that in times of recession McDonald's sales go up because people don't want to spend a lot on food, and also don't have time to cook. I get it, but you know me and fast food, ferget it.

Like how most of my recipes are invented, I dug deep in the pantry. I found a can of black beans, and some chicken in the freezer. My first thoughts were of Cuban food.

Even as a kid, food references and recipes always stuck with me. I don't know if you have memorized every single I Love Lucy episode the way I have, but the 50s fashion, decor, style, I loved it all - even in black and white. I always remember Ricky saying that his favorite food was arroz con pollo. And really, who doesn't love something as simple as chicken and rice?

Here in L.A. we are fortunate to have a lot of options food-wise, one popular place to go is Versailles. Cuban food is fantastic. The overwhelming smell of garlic, black beans, rice, it's so satisfying. You can't deny it.

This is the quickest recipe ever. It's perfect on those days when you don't want to do a damn thing and just want to come home and eat. Basically - every day. The Baby's party is going to be spectacular. You should see what I have planned...in my head. Yikes. I better get on it.

Cuban Chicken recipe, here.

**I logged back into this post, because I can't believe it. I hit 'publish,' went to read a few blogs before I went to sleep and look at this...Bakerella did the SAME THING. What a freakin' weird coincidence!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Lady Librarian said...

A sprinkle rack? A-mazing! Will you adopt me?

Thursday, November 06, 2008 2:52:00 AM  
Blogger La Pixie said...

thats exactly what I thought when I read your blog. just like Bakerella did! (only cute and round)

Thursday, November 06, 2008 11:53:00 AM  
OpenID babsinblogland said...

Versailles is hands down my fave restuarant. When my mom moved from L.A. the first thing I thought was I'd never get it again.

Thursday, November 06, 2008 1:49:00 PM  
Anonymous kat said...

a friend who'd lived in Mexico introduced us to the beauty that is the black bean. I never knew before, but I sure do now. we like Vigo black beans & rice the best for quick, easy & really good. I also really love her beach collection.

Friday, November 07, 2008 3:39:00 AM  
Blogger a n n e said...

We loooooove Versailles. My husband loves their garlic chicken so much I once brought an order of it back home with me on the plane. It was quite embarassing because my carry-on luggage REEKED of garlic. But it was so good!

Saturday, November 08, 2008 1:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home