Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good.

Continuing on from yesterday, so you've got these blank gingerbread houses, right?

Every year I tell my mom we should just leave 'em be and making it a ghetto gingerbread 'hood and call it a day. A dessert shanty town, if you will. But we always give in because the fun is just beginning!!There are TONS of ways you can decorate. Over the years we've come up with a few tried and true things that really work.Necco wafer roofs. Always traditional. Very stately. A quaint pretzel bridge. A little fish pond - cute and also savory! We've done so many that it's always fun to look back for inspiration. I was in the candy aisle at the market yesterday...um...just to buy candy, not to decorate. What can I say, I've got needs, ok? And the family next to me were deliberating over what to make their chimney out of for their gingerbread house. "Pretzels? Twix?" WHAT. STOP. PLEASE. I wanted to go over there and tell her, 'Never use chocolate on a house! Square tootsie rolls make a nice quick chimney, woman!" But I didn't. I didn't want to look like a candy freak, which I totally am. Even during the summer months, I go down the aisle and I don't see candy, I see building pieces to build my dream home. Out of...candy.

For tons more ideas, go to :
Gingerbread House decor how-to

4 Comments:

Blogger Sizzle said...

THAT IS SO MUCH CANDY!

Weeeeeeee!

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger Jenna Z said...

Please to explain. No chocolate? I see some chocolate covered raisins on a house of yours. And are not M&Ms chocolate? Was there a chocolate candy catastrophe?

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:02:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

Well, from past experience, candy bars, solid chocolate- they don't hold up well. Meaning if you are planning to eat it, it don't taste so good. It's the exposure to the air and the moisture of the 'glue' royal icing I think. Gumdrops, licorice, that stuff keeps it's properties.
Wrapped chocolates like kisses are good and m&ms are very much protected with their hard candy shell. That's what I've found anyway.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

I love that gold fish pond.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 10:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home