Sunday, April 19, 2009

Lemon, OUT!

I hate taking pictures of my food. I am not good at it and more importantly, I don't care. But I hate putting posts up without pictures, because who wants to hear me babble on, really. If I could hire someone to take pictures of my food, wash my dishes and fix my computer all for the fee of being well fed - that would be my dream craigslist ad - though not in the personals, gross.

Whereas The Food Librarian takes great pics and her baking always looks deliciously perfect. She recently gifted me with a Ginormica bag of meyer lemons. I love lemons, but there were so many in there, I knew that using them up would be a huge task.I immediately consulted (and discarded) the L.A. Times '100 things to do with meyer lemons' article. 'Throw one at your dog'? Come on. The lemons were very ripe so I had to work fast. So over two days I made the following:

Meyer Lemon+Olive Oil Teacakes
Lemon Coke
Lemon Zest French Fries
Lemon Brown Butter Roughy
Lemon Spaghetti
Lemon Syrup Loaf Cake
Meyer Lemon+Pineapple Sorbet

Whew. It was my own version of Iron Chef: Battle Lemons up in here. Note to friends: Do NOT gift me with a giant a$$ bag of seasonal fruit, unless you want to see me go insane trying to think of ways to use it up before it spoils. Oh no...is apple season coming up?!?

Lemon Coke recipe
Lemon Zest French Fries recipe
(more recipes to come)

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger The Food Librarian said...

You are freaking crazy! Um, you could have squeezed and frozen block of the juice for, I don't know, later! :) However, the chairman would be proud of your accomplishments. And, I would so photograph anything I get to eat! :) Watch out for tomatoes and then persimmon season...

Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Good thing you like so many lemony things! I would be at a loss. You can use them to freshen up a garbage disposal.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Nanette said...

Oh, great. Now what am I supposed to do with the big bag of oranges I bought for you from the guy on the sidewalk? Juuuuuust great.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Casie said...

Would you mind posting the Lemon Spaghetti recipe? I also received a huge bag of meyer lemons from a co-worker and made an awesome Lemon drenched Lemon cake from: http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2009/01/lemon-drenched-lemon-cake/
If you have extras you should try it. I brought it to my office the cake was gone in maybe 30 min. (probably 10, but I didn't check back into the kitchen that quickly).

Thanks!

Sunday, April 19, 2009 9:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

Me: currently very envious of your Meyer Lemon haul!

Monday, April 20, 2009 12:40:00 AM  
Blogger justJENN said...

@casie It's coming!

Monday, April 20, 2009 8:04:00 PM  
Blogger camille said...

3 things.

1. i love the 30 rock inspired title of this blog.. blarg!
2. your new header is great, love the old school curious george AND shave ice..
3. can't wait to try to lemon zest fries! my bf loves to sneak a little bit of lemon juice into everything i cook, so he should be happy.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please post more lemon recipes! i just got my own delivery of a massive amount of lemons...

Sunday, April 26, 2009 9:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home