Monday, May 11, 2009

Lips like sugar, sugar kisses

For someone who LOVES coffee, I actually don't drink it that much. I usually like it in cakes, ice cream - I just love the smell and flavor. With one exception. If there is a donut in the hizzouse, I need coffee with it. Therefore, Coffee + Donuts Cupcakes were inevitable.

Everyday I open my cabinets and there's my Mini Donut Maker staring at me. I haven't used it in about a year and I thought this was the perfect project. I made a strong coffee cupcake, with a coffee frosting, and then commandeered the kids to help out with the donut decorating.The donuts for the picture were mine - because frankly, the kid's were...heavily sprinkled. Imagine - entire bottles of sprinkles...everywhere. Ugh. But they had fun and I always want them to help out. Good thing I have tons of sprinkles close by.

I have been working on these cupcakes for a long time, and luckily, they came out just as I had hoped. For this recipe, I spent a lot of time dreaming about them, tweaking the recipe, and sketching out the idea. Yes, I have a sketchbook of food ideas, no I am not a crazy hobo.

I do think pastry on pastry is a bit over the top - I feel like I've just made the turducken of desserts. Still, you can't deny the cuteness. Also MMM, coffee.

Coffee + Donuts Cupcakes

Labels: , , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Shari said...

Oh Jenn, they are so cute. And I love dual function anything. These will do for coffee and donuts as well as anytime. OMG. I'm drooling. Yum.

Monday, May 11, 2009 7:23:00 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

"turducken of dessert" is awesome! As are these gorgeous cupcakes!!

Monday, May 11, 2009 8:16:00 AM  
Blogger susbro said...

I think you need one more dessert element to achieve turducken status; perhaps a cookie for a plate?

Those are really cute!

Monday, May 11, 2009 8:37:00 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Damn those look good! Two good things combined into one.

Monday, May 11, 2009 8:51:00 AM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

I second the previous OMG! You have outdone yourself with the dreaming! LOVE these and wish I could eat one RIGHT NOW (that's the baby in my tummy talkin'). I think you need to get more sleep so you can dream up more of these "turdcken"'ish concoctions! These are absolutely fabulous!!!!

Monday, May 11, 2009 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger Chessie said...

Those mini donuts are so cute!

"Turducken"...LOL

Monday, May 11, 2009 11:16:00 AM  
Anonymous kat said...

i bet they'd be better with a small hamburger, a fried egg and some bacon wedged between two of them. and I want to see you eat one.

Monday, May 11, 2009 1:49:00 PM  
Blogger The Food Librarian said...

You are freaking crazy. These are too crazy cute.

Monday, May 11, 2009 2:05:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Kat took the words right out of my mouth...bacon. Bacon would have made this over the top. But a GOOD over the top!

Monday, May 11, 2009 7:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

LOL at the Turducken of desserts. I have to say that they are really, really pretty!

Monday, May 11, 2009 9:14:00 PM  
Blogger Yvett said...

Uh, you're killing me, Jenn!

Monday, May 11, 2009 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger leslie said...

i like how you used the lined paper as backdrop to the sprinkle ... to make sure the "i"s were dotted and "t"s were crossed just right ...

looks like they were!!!!!

YUM!

:)

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just saw your little cupcakse on the tastespotting website! congrats!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:39:00 AM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

OMG, these look amazing. I want to gobble it up.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:47:00 PM  
Blogger Cakespy said...

I love you.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:17:00 PM  
Blogger Lady P said...

I want to indulge - I have a war on with my tastebuds - which is more heavenly - the doughnut or the cupcake - dilemma solved!

Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:46:00 PM  
OpenID eatandbehappy said...

These is SO adorable!

Friday, May 15, 2009 6:20:00 AM  
Blogger VirginIslands said...

I want one!

Friday, May 15, 2009 6:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A similar cupcake was discussed on cupcake bakeshop.

http://cupcakeblog.com/?p=86

She discusses how to make the doughnuts if you don't have a doughnut maker.

I love the use of frosting and sprinkles on these though! :)

Saturday, May 16, 2009 2:01:00 AM  
Blogger Sally Lee Candles said...

All I have to say is, "YUM!" I love both cupcakes and donuts so how can you go wrong!

thanks for sharing your creations.

Marie Rhoades - Owner
Sally Lee Candle Co.
www.TheSoyCandle.net

Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:59:00 AM  
Blogger Xani said...

Two great tastes that taste great together! i think my life is now complete :) so cute!!

Saturday, May 16, 2009 9:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home