Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Jim: I ate a tuna sandwich, on my first day. So, Andy started calling me Big Tuna. ...I don't think any of them actually know my real name.

For Christmas I asked my Secret Santa for one thing: A Hello Kitty Sandwich Maker. After all I have the Hello Kitty waffle maker, Hello Kitty Toaster, Hello Kitty Ice Maker, I'd need to complete my collection, right? Well. How about this - it was only $10 at Target, so what the heck.

I excitedly opened the box to find that there were NO Hello Kitty markings on the press at all. The thing just makes plain ol' sandwiches?!? What the what. There's NO fun in that. Despite the letdown, I still set up a sandwich making extravaganza for the kids and my SIL to test this bad boy out.

I set up some cheeses, meats and pizza sauce (we were making pocket pizza sandwiches after all) and wow, did it work great! It made perfectly pressed sandwiches. However, after much testing we found that too much cheese is all kinds of bad, because cleaning this thing is a m*therf*. Think: stuck melted cheese EVERYWHERE. I hacked at it, stabbed it, scrubbed and still - I could not get it off the maker. It was pretty terrible.

While the sandwich making was a lot of fun, the clean up - well, I just don't want to relive that nightmare. I'll keep using it for sure (easy on the cheesy), but now I've got my eyes on a 'professional' one since the kids just LOVED making their own sandwiches. I'd still like a Hello Kitty face burned into mine, just sayin'.

Hello Kitty sandwich maker how-to, here.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is strange that there are no Hello Kitty faces on the sandwiches--I've seen that one online! Still, you make some fun dinners for your kiddos, faces or no faces.
-Kasey

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Jeff said...

Not sure if you need the edges to be sealed or not, but I highly recommend the Black and Decker rectangular waffle iron for such things. The non-stick plates are reversible with the non-waffle side a flat surface. Great for sandwiches and I've never had to scrub it, just a quick rinse under the faucet.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Leslie said...

Make a baking soda paste, apply liberally to the sandwich maker where the cooked-on food is, and let it sit on the surface for 10 minutes or so. The cooked- on cheese, etc should wipe right off. I use this method on any baking or cooking pans to get crusty yucky stuff cleaned off. No more huffing and puffing with a scrubber.
Your sandwiches sound delicious! You rock the cooking/baking world for sure!

Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:46:00 AM  
Anonymous CS said...

I have the "professional one" that you linked to on Amazon. I LOVE it. I would use it everyday if my family would put up with it. I even crisp up bacon on this lovely contraption and then put it in my grilled cheese sandwiches.
As an added bonus, it is sooo easy to clean. No baked on concrete mess. Everything (so far) wipes off easily.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:58:00 AM  
Blogger joanh said...

that sucks! i thought, $10 and got all excited. i have one that burns in the faces and surprisingly it makes awesome sandwiches too! you should totally get it!

Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:13:00 AM  
Blogger Nichi said...

I agree with CS the Griddler is awesome. We have one and it cleans up easily because the grills come off and you can soak them if needed but I've never managed to get any cheese stuck. It just usually comes off with the sandwich and you have crispy cheesiness on the edges. It wont make the same kind of triangly sealed off sandwiches you made tho. Its cool to open up and make lots of pancakes too.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:03:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

What is the point if it doesn't burn Hello Kitty's face into your bread?! Sigh...what has the world come to?

Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:12:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Oh, and I have the one you linked to, as well. I would seriously consider the upgraded one with removable plates if I were you. Mine is a pain in the butt to clean.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:14:00 AM  
OpenID konkiki said...

Try wiping it with a wet paper towel while it's still hot - works on my Foreman grill.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Mary said...

I didn't know they made such things. If there was ever a Darth Vader sandwich maker, I think I would have to buy it for my bf and make lots of sandwiches for him. It's a shame it didn't allow for hello kitty's face to be plastered all over your food. She might as well dominate your stomach, too!

Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:27:00 PM  
Blogger justJENN said...

@Mary
Last year at Comic Con they sold a Darth Vader toaster that burned his face into the toast. I was dying for one, but didn't get a chance to pick one up!

Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Lilcee said...

I think the first version of the HK sammich maker did burn HK's face on it.

I saw that wanted it so badly until I realize it don't have Kitty's face on my sammiches. BOOOOO

Monday, January 18, 2010 10:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home