Wednesday, February 10, 2010

And I think it's gonna be a long, long time

Did you know that it's my secret dream to own a sweet shop? I often sketch pictures of how I'd like it to look (cause I'm a dork) large glass canisters filled with candies in a rainbow of colors, lined up for display. I think it's the colors that I'm attracted too. It's the same glazed over look that I get when I'm standing in front of a wall of pens. I just love the colors.

Recently I met SnarkyDork up in Burbank where we headed to Rocket Fizz. It's a nondescript shop from the street, but once you are in there, WOW - every soda known to man. But forget the soda, let me tell you about the candy...

This place is wall to wall candy. While they have some new trendy stuff, it's the old skool candies that are so fascinating! I saw things I hadn't seen in years. You could spend hours in there just looking up and down the small aisles - and if you can't find something they are more than happy to find it for you!

Along with my root beer purchases, I bought a Whatchamcallit. It's an old Hershey's candy bar, that is still around but hard to find. It was big in the 1980's...and my Grandpa's favorite. I have to tell you seeing it made me a little teary, so I bought one to take to the cemetery. It's silly, but root beer AND candy were my Grandpa's favorite things. I'm sure that diet is why he lived so long.

As I too am a connoisseur of root beer, I know they sell a sampler pack, but I have to tell you - I've already tried them all. Still, that won't stop me from coming back again and again next time I'm in the 'hood.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Love this post. That's such a great dream to have. Sweet Shops are just... magical. I'd love to visit this store one day or maybe yours when you open one. :)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:00:00 AM  
Blogger Sizzle said...

You owning a sweet shop makes perfect sense.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:59:00 AM  
Blogger kate said...

check this out--
www.pielab.or
--awesome place! you could combine your dream of a sweet shop with your architecture/design skills.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:06:00 PM  
Blogger kate said...

that's .org

Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:06:00 PM  
Anonymous theletterkae said...

My grandpa loved Werther's Original candies, ate them like they were going out of style, and lived to be 92. We put a bag in his coffin before we burried him, so I can totally relate to bringing Whatchamacallit and root beer to the cemetary.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home