Sunday, February 07, 2010

But give me that bomb beat from Dre,
let me serenade the streets of L.A.

I stopped downtown to see my friend Celia, she lives and works there and has as big a love for downtown as I do.

I went to to her art supply store Raw Materials (which I've written about before) to pick up some pens and then we headed off to try a few bakeries in the Old Bank District. The less said about this the better. If you want to know what I thought, send me an email. Otherwise - let's move on.

Celia loves mochi (who doesn't) and I knew I wanted to make something special. So I whipped up some Mochi Donuts. I can't express how great these came out. A lot of it had to do with the fact that I busted out my deep fryer. This is the best invention known to man. I didn't buy it, it was gifted to me years back and I thought it was the stupidest gift ever, but now I LOVE it, mostly because I don't have to fear being blinded by hot popping oil in my eyeballz.

Nice and hot, rolled in cinnamon sugar, they were amazing. And even though I gave them away hours later, the were still really good and got rave reviews! These are my new favorite thing and now I need to figure out how to open up my own Mochi Donuts store. I think I'll call it MMMNUTZ. Hm. Maybe not.

Mochi Donuts recipe, here.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

These look like the odango that the Buddhist temples make for Obon. Man, summer won't come fast enough.

If you make these again, please drop me a line. I will bring the ocha. :)

Sunday, February 07, 2010 6:58:00 PM  
Blogger celia said...

Thanks again for the mochi donuts, Jenn, they were delicious! Now I have to borrow my parents' deep fryer so I can try your recipe.

Monday, February 08, 2010 2:19:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

These look really good. Yeah, I only fry stuff using my 9.99 Frye Daddy...I usually leave the frying to my -in-laws!

Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger Yum-e said...

Ooooh - I'm so making these...of course, when the baby falls asleep which might be never. But there's a box of mochiko burnin' a hole in my cupboard!

Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Cupcake Forum said...

Never in a million years would I have thought of mochi doughnuts. Interesting!

Saturday, February 20, 2010 11:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home