Thursday, July 15, 2010

Aw, nuts.

I have some really big IMPORTANT NEWS to announce today: The Kid is no longer allergic to peanuts. Can you hear that? It's the sound of angels and the heavens opening...or it's just the sound of me busting open a jar of peanut butter.

How did I find this out? In a very scientific way. I fed him a bite of my banh mi sandwich, only to realize AFTER the fact, that the thing was studded with chopped peanuts. Um...oops? Hey, I've never had a banh mi with peanuts dammit - who knew?? Anyway, I turned and looked for signs of choking, itchiness, nausea...nothing but the Kid looking back at me saying, "What. Why are you staring at me? Can I have more sandwich?" Hm.

As a peanut lover I was eager to try out every possible item on him, nutter butters, peanut butter cups, pb&j - but the Kid...he wasn't having it. I even made up some very pretty, very fancy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to celebrate only to be turned down.

I guess all those years where we put the fear of death by peanut in him worked a little too well. Even if he wasn't allergic he swears that peanuts will kill us all and he won't go near them. Remember kids, guns don't kill people, guns AND peanuts do - just ask Boba Fett.

Fancy PB & J recipe, here.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Our Man Horn said...

"PEANUTS!" No longer just a euphemism!

This is great news!

Thursday, July 15, 2010 10:22:00 PM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Best line ever! "Remember kids, guns don't kill people, guns AND peanuts do - just ask Boba Fett."

Love it! And I'm sure the kid will come around eventually. I mean, how can you hate peanuts FOR LIFE if you're allergic?!?

Friday, July 16, 2010 9:52:00 AM  
Blogger Lorena said...

Uh...I meant if you're NOT allergic!

Yup, time for more coffee... LOL

Friday, July 16, 2010 9:53:00 AM  
Blogger joyce said...

Congratulations!! My daughter - still allergic to nuts. She saw those macadamia nut kisses on my dresser from Hawaii, walked to me with one in her hand and asked "does this have nuts?" I said "yes, you can't eat that" - then she said "can you break a piece that doesn't have nuts?" --haha...she knows she can eat the silver kisses but she couldn't eat these blue ones...I'm glad she's so good about asking if things have nuts.

Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger N. said...

How can you be sure he's still not allergic to peanuts? I ask because my youngest also tested allergic after testing allergic to dairy and eggs (which she has since outgrown, yay!), even had peanut butter (that sly 2 year old, taking full advantage of a napping mommy to break into the cupboard and chow down on the jar of peanut butter that her older sister subsisted on in those days...yikes) and no reaction (thankfully). Then, she was in an a/c'd car with windows rolled up with a small crockpot filled with Thai peanut sauce and the girl broke out in hives! Was more careful after that and refused any peanut products in the house. Then, last month she had her usual donut from Dunkin' Donuts - this one a vanilla frosted - and she broke out in hives and this time complained of an itchy throat! Yipes. So, my dd has had inconsistent reactions to peanut products and came-into-contact-with-peanuts products, but we still treat her as if she's allergic.

Will you get him tested again or is the banh mi experience enough for you to go on?

Sunday, July 18, 2010 5:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home