Tuesday, August 31, 2010

You look good, baby must taste heavenly
I’m pretty sure that you got your own recipe

Hawaii is all about the plate lunch. There is something soul-satisfying about eating salty protein with as much starch as possible - rice AND mac salad, that is - all tucked into a nice white take-out container. I definitely try to eat my share whenever I go back.

Having been on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives helped Nico's on the Pier become crazy crowded at lunch. Not that they needed the help - their food was GREAT. Ahi belly seemed to be the 'it' dish of the moment - as I saw it offered everywhere. Not what you'd expect - it's a really tender part of the fish, succelent and flaky. So that's what I tried at Nico's: Fried Ahi Belly.

It was nice and crisp, super moist and the tomatoes added the perfect amount of acidity. Being on a pier and all, the fish was brought in that very morning so you KNOW that stuff was fresh and you could taste it. The mac salad was a bit toooo mayonaizzzy for my taste, but it was still a great plate.I also went to the 'famous' Rainbow Drive In. For 45 years, this place has been serving some great classic plate lunch. They have NEVER CHARGED TAX, so that people know the exact prices. Love it. Crowded of course, it was a great lunchtime spot with a lot of daily specials and favorites.I went for the shoyu chicken plate. A hefty three pieces of chicken, rice and mac salad - it was DEELISH. Everything you could want in a plate lunch.

It inspired me to go home and make something just as salty sweet and satisfying...with pork of course. I made this in the slow cooker so I could go about my day. I threw together some ingredients (whatever I had) and popped the lid on. The SMELLS from this that filled my house...it was beyond heavenly. Now I just need to buy some styrofoam containers to recreate my own take-out food experience!

Shoyu Pork recipe, here.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Margie said...

I saw this and thought of you.

http://abdpbt.com/commodityfetishism/2010/08/31/ninjabread-men-cookie-cutters/

Ninja cookie cutters!!! How cute is this?!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:06:00 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

O my gosh. I would die for some Rainbow drive in. I absolutely love the place, and go there every time I'm in HA which sadly has only been twice, although I think the last time I was there we ate their twice. It is so yummy!

Thursday, September 02, 2010 6:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home