Monday, September 20, 2010

I'm the imperial, Overweight Lover MC Heavy D.

The Farmer's Market is a weekly event for us. I go all over depending where my errands take me that day. Downtown, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, the South Bay - all are great markets with lovely seasonal produce.

Right now the weather is perfect and large green watermelons are calling my name. Granted, it's pretty much the tail end of the season right now, so picking a good one can be tricky.

My own personal way of doing this is to look for a nice even green color, a rounded shape and most importantly - weight. If it feels a little heavier than you'd expect - that's the one to choose. That is, pick it up - if you think you're going to get a hernia, you're good to go. I know it doesn't make sense but it's always worked for me.

This past week, using this method I picked the juiciest and sweetest watermelon I've had in a long time. Now that I've had my 'perfect' watermelon for the season, I feel I can move on and I'm ready for fall produce. Bring it on!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home