Saturday, January 22, 2011

Throw your hands in the air, if you's a true player

Here's the thing. When the Food Librarian and I go out, we always have a loose plan. Shopping? How about lunch? Whatever that is, forget it. We always, ALWAYS end up at a bakery. Or two...

On this particularly adventurous day in the dead middle of winter - winter being 70+ degrees for us here in L.A., we were walking down Sawtelle.

Sawtelle Blvd is basically the Westside equivalent for those peeps who don't want to go East on the 10 fwy to Little Tokyo. You should tho, because Downtown is AWESOME.

It is filled with shops and food. Oh...the food. Noodle houses, curry houses, Japanese fried chicken. You will never starve on this street. Out of the corner of her eye - ok, using her PASTRY RADAR, the Food Librarian spotted 'Beard Papa Cafe.' Okie dokie then, you really think we were gonna pass on that??

Inside they had regular Beard Papa's cream puffs, as well as an array of Japanese/French inspired desserts. But it was their variations on the classic Beard Papa's cream puff that I was interested in.

First of all...MINIS.

That is my Pavlovian instinct kicking in, anything mini, give me ten. Fortunately these little cream puffs were 6 for $5, in ANY flavor you wanted.

The flavors for the day were strawberry (no thanks), chocolate and vanilla. Both FL and I were sad, she wanted Green Tea, I wanted Coffee, but we made do in a tough situation. The fun part about Beard Papa's is getting to watch them fill the puffs to order. Mmm...fresh.

Even more interesting was the Paris - Brest (thank you readers). I made the girl repeat it three times. I'm sure she was irritated, but all that mattered were the details: it was a choux, piped into a donut shape, filled with custard. Let me repeat that. A pastry choux, piped into a donut shape, filled with custard. Good. Lord. Inception alert - I think they've raided my dreams.

This amazing little item is ONLY available on Fridays, keep that in mind should you visit during the week.

After plenty of tasting I was as full as a cream puff myself. Still that didn't stop me from bringing a few classic puffs home, as well as Beard Papa himself...in keychain form.

**all photos by the Food Librarian

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Kathryn said...

I have this terrible habit of reading your blog in the wee hours when I can't do anything about the desires it provokes! So stinkin' delicious.

p.s. Paris-Brest!

Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:59:00 AM  
Blogger Meghan said...

The Paris-Brest pastry was named after bike route from Paris to Brest. The pate a choux is piped to look like a bicycle wheel, cut in half horizontally, and traditionally filled with a hazelnut pastry cream. Tasty!

Sunday, January 23, 2011 7:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Ally said...

Dangerous creampuffs! I always go in there to get one cream puff and end up leaving with six. Every. Single. Time. And it's just me I'm feeding! They're just too tasty.

Sunday, January 23, 2011 1:20:00 PM  
Blogger L.A. Story said...

I drive by there all the time. Now I'm definitely stopping.

Monday, January 24, 2011 3:59:00 PM  
Blogger msdina said...

I loooooooove me some Beard Papa, the custard filling is absolute perfection. Did you spy any in Hawai'i? they got funky fillings and savory sandwiches: pocho sausage, SPAM, tuna. I have yet to be adventurous and try. The last time I hit up BP, they had a promo going on w the HK/BP collab for a bag. Was coveting and kicking myself that I didn't get it.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home