Sunday, June 26, 2011

Detroit Rock City

Lately L.A. has become a hot dog hot spot. With new places opening every week it's hard to know what's good and what's hype. On the corner of Sunset and San Vicente, Coney Dog LA had a huge following before it even opened. A Detroit transplant, these dogs are well loved and with investors like Adam Sandler and Tim Allen, the opening was much anticipated.

Hot dogs, great. But I was more interested in the fact that they were carrying a full line of Faygo. I know Red Pop is a tradition but I can't pass up a Root Beer...ever.

Not only is there soda but a full line of beers including Strohs, a Detroit beer and this is the only place in L.A. that has it.

It's hard to get a chili dog to look good in a picture, let me tell you. The hot dogs were good, great snap, flavorful chili and man, do I love onions.

The real deal - Sanders hot fudge sundaes. My friend Hilary - who told me about Coney Dog in the first place, insisted that I get a hot fudge sundae. She was right, that is some damn fine hot fudge...the one drop I tasted.

The kids descended on that sundae like vultures. I'm lucky I didn't get my arm chewed off trying to get my one taste. But it was fantastic. I'm totally going back BY MYSELF to eat my own.

The place is new, clean, has great parking (a rarity in Hollywood) and is already packed with tons of Detroit natives. They were a little pricey for hot dogs, but seeing as how they are located on the Sunset Strip right next to the Whiskey and open til midnight - I see nothing but big business for them.

Coney Dog L.A.
8873 Sunset Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA
www.coneydogla.com

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Hilary said...

So glad you liked it, and that you got to try Sanders hot fudge! When we first moved from Detroit we would bring Sanders back to CA with us. I have three jars in my cabinet, so so so good!

And next time you must get the Red Pop or Rock N Rye. Seriously!!

I think the prices are kind of high because they fly the dogs and chili in from Detroit. They said the veggie chili was homemade though (it was really good too!).

Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:32:00 AM  
Blogger Chandra said...

Man that sounds nummers.. Gonna have a chili dog and Rootbeer for lunch now, just sounds right :)

Sunday, June 26, 2011 9:56:00 AM  
Blogger sko_G knits said...

okay...when are we going?

Monday, June 27, 2011 10:43:00 AM  
Anonymous w B motorcity said...

it's pop not soda!!!!! Walt b from the motorcity

Friday, July 01, 2011 1:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home