Monday, June 13, 2011

Hermione: Harry, there's a reason the symbol of Slytherin house is a serpent. Salazar Slytherin was a parselmouth, he could talk to snakes too.

It's my fave time of year, time to sign up for the Summer Reading Club! As a kid I remember my mom taking us to the library every summer to start the Summer Reading program. We spent a lot of time in the library, maybe that's why my mom eventually became a librarian later in life. Hm.

I read a lot during the summer, the books I loved most had colorful imaginative illustrations. I also read and re-read TONS of cookbooks. Seems like I spent all my time in the cookbook/party planning section.

Now that the Baby is five and can FINALLY read, I feel like the door has opened up and we can do even more things. The summer reading program is fantastic because it encourages kids to keep up with their studies in the summer, but more importantly they get to explore new worlds through books and have lots of fun!

For the kick off party at the Library they brought in an animal expert who showed off a bunch of animals - one from every continent.

There were the usual cuties, pigmie albino hedgehog...

...and then the not so cuties. Legless lizard, anyone? Ew.

And the piece de resistance, a GIANT BOA CONSTRICTOR. You should have heard the squeals in the audience! When the animal expert asked who wanted to touch the snake, The Kid made a straight beeline right back to me as if someone had yelled 'fire!'- no way, no how. Meanwhile the Baby lined up as fast as he could and even started speaking Parseltongue. Er...nerd therapy, line one.

When the party was over we headed to the children's book section and picked out the books to start our summer reading. I got kids cookbooks and the Baby got a book on snakes...of course he did. Nothing like hearing your child yell across a quiet library: "Look mommy, it's eating a dead rat!" Yeesh.

**update to this post: the Kid woke up at 6am yesterday and ended up reading 14 books. It's going to be a lonnnngg summer.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger caninecologne said...

hi there! you might already know about this but borders as well as barnes and noble both have summer reading programs for kids. they can get a free book out of their efforts as well. always a plus! :)

Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn ~
Greetings and Salutations! I know it's been a long while since I've replied; I recently moved across the LV valley, and had to have an emergency root canal done last week. WHAT FUN.
HAHA, the thought of the Baby speaking Parseltongue just cracks me up! (Yes, I am a HP Lunatic!)

I am glad that you continue to foster the love of reading to the boys...14 books already?! Hello, ROBO-READER! One of my jobs is in the Youth Services department of a nearby library, and I can honestly say that I am proud to wear my BRIGHT yellow "One World, Many Stories" t-shirt!
Have a great weekend & PAX,
Lola in Las Vegas

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

er, um...sorry for this dork-moment, but I just wanted to explain to a few readers: "One World, Many Stories" is the slogan for this year's Summer Reading Program for Children. (Teens: "You Are Here", Adults: "Novel Destinations")
The Collaborative Summer Library Program comes up with different themes and slogans for public libraries every year.
PAX,
Lola in Las Vegas

Friday, June 17, 2011 11:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home