Friday, June 03, 2011

Hole in one

Today is National Donut Day - yes, there is such a thing. And let me tell you, you'll be hard pressed to find someone who likes donuts more than me. I am the Queen of Donuts, I just love them.

So imagine my surprise when I walked into brunch and saw before me a MINI DONUT BUFFET. I nearly dropped to my knees and sobbed with sugary happiness.
It was my aunt's birthday and my mom made reservations for all the women in our family to go to the Catalina Kitchen at the Terranea Resort in Palos Verdes. I'd never been there and let me tell you - it was DEEP on the other side of the hill, just down the way from Trump National Golf Course.
The Catalina Kitchen is also well known for it's Friday night Seafood buffets. But for the Sunday Brunch I figured it would be standard fare - and I was right until when you walk in the first thing you see is a cabinet full of mini donuts! That's my aunt momentarily stunned by the sugary selections.
Of course I took EVERY SINGLE ONE. Hey, they're mini, right? Bismarcks, Berliners, Jelly Filled, malasadas, not only donuts but also bear claws, mini choco croissants, cinnamon rolls, pastries and more. Pure heaven.

I'm guessing the types of donuts and pastries change out daily, but I felt like I struck fried sugary gold. But that's not all, there was actual food too, of course. A very tiny selection of dim sum, plus your standard eggs, bacon, sausages as well as eggs benedict.
There was also a waffle bar which totally threw me because it had toppings like an ice cream bar. Good lord. Chocolate fudge, sprinkles, gummi bears, oreos, candy, fresh whipped cream, all to top your crisp freshly made Belgian Waffle. It made me a little woozy but maybe that's because I had just finished up my donut overload extravaganza, but I bet my kids would have liked it.

Not to mention lox and bagels and fruit. Just...a lot. It's a small sized buffet but packed to the gills, sort of like my stomach at the end of it all.
We walked off our lavish meals (well, my donuts) and took a stroll around the grounds. There were a heck of a lot of tourists there for mid-May, lounging out at the pool overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the Palos Verdes Peninsula.
We also ran into a bird wrangler and let's get this straight, I am NOT a fan of birds, but these birds are specifically used to chase away seagulls from the high paying tourists. In that case, they are now my favorite birds ever - since seagulls are disgusting.
The resort is gorgeous and it'd be a nice staycation getaway since it feels so far removed from Los Angeles. My Aunt had a great birthday and I had a dream donut vacation.

Catalina Kitchen at Terranea
100 Terranea Way
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home