Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Eight crazy nights

My friend Hilary jokes that I'm part Jewish. I had a lot of Jewish friends growing up, I've been to temple, been to seders and I especially love all the Jewish holiday baking. When I was a kid I even played Dreidel for gelt. So it was fitting that the Kid came home from school with this:
A marshmallow menorah! I love it! Sadly those candles were gone in seconds. Marshmallows are one of his favorite things and I noticed the lights going out one by one as we walked to the car...
The Kid was trying to tell me all he learned about Hanukkah and the menorah but he couldn't remember the Hebrew word for servant which is also the name for the middle candle - "shamash." I couldn't remember either so he went with his new go-to for questions and asked...

...Siri! The kids have been asking Siri a lot of questions lately, it's pretty hilarious. Luckily she always comes up with the right answers, which is a good thing. So this week Siri's been working overtime helping the kids with their Hebrew.

Happy Hanukkah!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Hilary said...

I guess I need to brush up on my hebrew. I had no idea shamash meant servant.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:08:00 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

I'm a bad Jew. Thanks for that. I learned something new today.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Amyg said...

Thank you!!!! Love the menorah idea!!!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:50:00 PM  
Blogger Bully said...

What the...! Siri, you slacker, I could have done that!

Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:49:00 AM  
Blogger The Nix Family said...

Riley learned in school that the Shamash is the "helper" candle. Potato, putatoh.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is cute, but um.. if you're thinking about making this and you're Jewish, you should know that marshmallows are made with gelatin, and most gelatin in the US comes from the pork industry in China. SO not kosher!! You can get vegan marshmallows at health food stores, but they're small and spendy.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home