Monday, March 12, 2012

My life in miniature

Last year I attended the first ever Geek Girl Con. I spoke on panels about running my own business and about parenting and I left the con with a renewed sense of self. Sometimes when you are a creative person you can doubt yourself - er, I doubt myself A LOT. But I felt like this welcoming, friendly Con put it all in perspective.

One of the great things about the Con was how small it was. You could rub elbows with peers and mentors alike. The first day we got there my good friends Jess and Sarah and I were lost. It wasn't the easiest of places to find and we all were on panels and just wanted to get to the Con. As we wandered the streets we caught up with a couple in front of us. Determined to find our destination, we all went searching together. As the five of us walked, we talked about where we were from, what we did and mostly - comics.

The woman in the couple didn't know who we were, but we definitely knew who she was - it was Gail Simone. Writer of Birds of Prey, Secret Six, Batgirl?! As a comics fan it was sort of surreal. We were all big fans of hers and it was nice to be able to walk and chat as we searched for the Con.

Her husband and I chatted and he asked me what comics I was currently reading. I told him a few of the single issues but I was also a little embarrassed to add that I just happened to be going back and re-reading The All-New Atom...by Gail Simone. I wasn't sucking up, it was in my travel bag right on my arm, I had brought it with me on the plane! What are the chances that I'd even run into her?! I just liked that book and wanted to start it over again. I mean, this particular Atom was one of the very few Asian American superheroes but...let's not relive what happened to Ryan Choi. Um.

Recently, one night during 'after dinner art' with the kids, I saw that the Baby had pulled a book off the shelf. I went over to see that he had taken the All-New Atom: Future/Past and that he was drawing his own version of Atom.

I think it was fate running into Gail and her husband. It made me feel good to know that the people that I respect are also kind and respectful as well. Sometimes that's not always the case. It's the little things like that made me happy to be a geek raising geeks (the name of the parenting panel I was on) I think the second Geek Girl Con in August will bring even more fantastic memories.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly Chapman said...

I've been on a quest over the past few months to find good comics for my six year old daughter, particularly female positive ones.

So far her favourite (which she says is better than cake!) is this one: http://lilithdark.com/

Her only complaint is there isn't more more more.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:13:00 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Love this. Thank you so much for being part of GeekGirlCon '11 and hope to see you back again.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:40:00 PM  
Blogger joyce said...

Great story and I'm sure a great experience!

Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home