Thursday, January 10, 2013

Aquarium of the Pacific

When I was in architecture school we had an assignment about designing a new wing to the Aquarium of the Pacific. Those kinds of projects are always interesting because you got to look at something familiar with a fresh pair of eyes. Walking through the exhibits wondering what people focus on, what catches their interests.
Now years later I got to see the Aquarium through a fresh pair of eyes once again when I took my three year old nephew for the first time. My kids love visiting and couldn't wait to show their cousin the tanks full of fish and sea life, all up close.
The day we visited we were lucky to catch all the action in the exhibits. The scuba divers came down into the large Honda Blue Cavern tank and gave a talk to the kids watching through the glass.

We also saw the otter show, where audience participation drew cheers from the crowd when the otters swam right up to the glass and charmed everyone with their adorable furry faces.
My nephew has no fear and even as his older cousins stayed back from the touch tank, he leaned right in and couldn't wait to reach out to the stingrays.

I know it's strange but outside in the very back of the Aquarium is one of my favorite exhibits which is more like a scientific experiment.
The Watershed exhibit lets guests interact with a large scale model of Southern California, I like to watch the rains come down and see how they drain into the basin. As a lover of Los Angeles it's fun to find your neighborhood and see how water conservation affects SoCal life.

All along the way the kids got to do one of their favorite things which is to go on a scavenger hunt in the Aquarium and find all the stamps to get their visitor guide embossed. The boys were thrilled whenever they ran across an embossing station, it was a great way to get them involved in the exhibits and a nice souvenir to take home.
At the end of the day although they differed in age, the three boys had a great time at the Aquarium and my sister in law loved it so much she bought an annual pass. My nephew can't wait to go back and see his friends the penguins, otters and  all the fishes in the sea!

Aquarium of the Pacific
100 Aquarium Way
Long Beach, CA 90802

*The Aquarium of the Pacific invited me on a tour and provided me with tickets. I received no compensation and all opinions are my own.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Claire Atkinson said...

I love that you enjoyed the watershed exhibit! Glad you guys had a good time.

Friday, January 11, 2013 11:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home